Tuesday, December 23, 2014

MY RELIGION - THE HOLY KARON


"the holy karon"

after nearly a 9 month hiatus from media and music alike, the ultimate underdog in rap but top dog in his city Holy Karon once again shines bright in his low-lit habitat of East Baltimore, residing a mere block from where The Wire was filmed. His grit and spine-tingling, shrillish atmosphere he perceives and previously held has long been absent and long anticipated.  In a land where it ain't much to do, "but die", he still exists and remains in the ashes. After succeeding depression and extreme writer's block he rebounds back with, "My Religion", an anthem of remaining true to one's self and to one's people, as well as a shout out to fellow 410 spitter Gualla A.K.A. TruGwap. He's the undisputed God of Baltimore's relentless underground, being a first hand witness to the violence choke holding the city year after year, still un-re-cooperated and suffering from the Baltimore Riots. A product of his environment, let us welcome Karon back to the musical pedestal in which he once resided, where he entails a smooth transition from his notable graphic lyrics to an extremely melodic, balanced release over a flawless production piece. I give to you My Religion, and a brief interview with the man himself.


Q - What have you been doing since your hiatus from music?

A - I just been readin', tryna' find myself in the abyss, battling emotions that come with the sickness of living. Never truly been on no hiatus, just me taking the wrong forks in the path of life, maybe from my perspective it was wrong or maybe it was a growing period you got to go through to be righteous. All I see is pain some days. I wonder do those around the world find pleasure in it, but that's the war I got to go through. Maybe cause of my past sins, I try to cleanse myself mentally, cause physical pain is nothing like the heaven & hell in your mind, constantly trying to balance each other.

Q - Tell me about your rap name. How did it come about?

A - The origin is kinda mysterious. I believe it was given to me, blessed from my father. I was bein' a savage, then I had to be Holy before I even knew what outcome it would bring to me in life.

Q - Tell me about Baltimore. What's it like living there, specific stories, etc.

A - Baltimore is like living in Hades, it's an underworld where you can find bad, good, evil everywhere. It gets ugly some days, it's hope the next. Every face constantly reminds you of your demise, where you can end up, who you can become. So much mediocrity, but lately the new golden era of rappers from this city is making a change to that. Not only through music, but through life itself. Not even just the music, the queens and kings out here giving the people hope they never had. We ain't really have nobody to carry the torch through the whole path. Couple faults from the people and the ones with the vision as well, it's a unity problem, but we going to do good & get better. No specific stories, the streets is always listening. I love the silence though.

Q - How did you get into music in the first place? Inspirations, etc.

A - I got into this cause I was slick with the words. I knew my words I said had such power behind it that it would alter peoples viewpoints and my mind was constantly maneuvering through stupidity while people would get sacked by it. I'm constantly refining myself. I see how the snakes rattle, I see how they move and make adjustments... they fix everyday, but I'ma have to die to lose. But I forever live as the ghost... spirit of the city whether they know or not.

Q - Tell me about, "My Religion." How it came about, etc.

A - My Religion record was done awhile ago from a beat I did with my mans Tru Gwap. Free him by any means, cause we will win by any means. We did another record to it, but I built off it even more cause I knew I had even better vision for it. GUALLA should be the first one to the remix to it though once he touch down. We gonna get it pushin'.

Q - Rest In Peace ___ ?

A - Rest in peace G-Ma, the one who helped me through my pain, even after death... which made me look at life differently, let me know how sometimes being good [can] get you hurt. She saved me from dyin' but it's like I die everyday even more. Start to forget her voice, forget her touch, forget her memories, forget my way. Rip Rell. Let's me know any given day can get took away in this city we call home. In this world even. But their spirit lives on through me. Rip Shawn, Rip John Crowder, even more souls taken out in these streets. It's crazy out here as you can see.

Q - What's next for Holy Karon?

A - I'm just trying to take over, not to be a loss in life. If it happens, so be it, as long as I find my bliss. But if that happens, I lost. And I will win. Any person who ever even been around will indirectly win from support of me cause TRU love is everlasting. Put all those around me on & watch us build, as we watch the snakes try to destroy us in this game of chess. 2015 is ours, it's my city's turn to finally prosper. Maybe with my guidance we finally will meet salvation. This is just the genesis. 


@zadricdavis  

No comments:

Post a Comment